Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My mom would be proud?! Maybe...

Any mom can relate to what I have to say--life is really busy! With a baby and a 2 1/2 year old constantly at my feet, and a 4 1/2 year old not far away either, there are many times I look at my day on my way to pick up Alexis and David at school and wonder what I actually accomplished. Or as I lay in bed at night (which is always at an hour that is far too late, but that is a whole other issue!), I realize that if I was being paid for the job I do as a housekeeper, I would probably have been fired FOREVER ago!


There's nothing like a little job security! With that said, this is what I am grateful for in my house:

1. Doors that close, so we can push messes in and hide them when necessary.

2. Space on top of the washer and dryer to lay(sometimes pile) all my dry laundry until it I finally fold it. I can create a pretty good laundry wall!

3. Blinds on windows so no one can peek in when I don't want them to, and no one can peek out to the back yard to the messes we are still getting to.

4. A garage that is eventually going to be a play room of sorts, but it is still not done, so I can toss in things I don't want to deal with at the time and can claim the garage can be a mess because it is still a work in progress.

5. Dark tile! I know my mom says light is better, but not in my house! Dark tile hides footprints, paw prints, all those lovely kid and pet things. And why mop right before company comes over anyway? I will just have to do it again once they leave....
These are just a few of my excuses for the messes that at times go untouched while I instead unwind from a long day by playing on the computer(like right now) or just sitting mindlessly on the couch!

But then there are those times, during the middle of the day when I am trying to accomplish something and just not getting anywhere, or just don't feel like doing it. Do you want to know what keeps me moving at those times? My mother. She is such a clean, organized person. I am sure there were messes in my house growing up, but I really don't remember them. Things were always tidy and taken care of. As I think of her, I have this terrible sense of guilt--what would my mother say if she came over right now? By the way, that would be impossible because she lives 2 states away! But what if she did? UGH! I would die of embarrassment! I have in my mind that she would think--gee, Keri, didn't I teach you better than this? Didn't I always teach you that if you just put something away when you are finished with it, you won't have to clean it up later? If you take your folded laundry to your room and put it where it belongs, then you wouldn't have to refold it once it gets knocked over on the floor!Wouldn't it be easier to take a few minutes now to do the little things so they don't all pile up and become one big chore?
Yes, mom, you taught me well. I try to follow what you taught! I hope that as my children grow up my voice will pop into their head and guilt them into doing what they know they should! That's what moms do! I am glad my mom is still an influence in my life! Love you mom! Just don't come visit without warning...

0 comments: