Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My "School Year" Resolutions

I have a hard time making and keeping those darned New Year's Resolutions. I always feel like right after the holidays things are so busy that I never really ponder what goals I might like to set for myself.

Well, the kids start school on Thursday and so for the past few weeks I have had all sorts of plans and lists running through my head--things I would like to see happen for the kids, things I would like to try to get done, things I would like to try to do. It hit me that as a mom of school-aged children, my life really revolves around the school year much more than the calendar year.

Come the end of August, we gear up for all sorts of "newness"--new grades, new teachers, new clothes and shoes, new supplies, new friends. Why not take the beginning of the school year as my opportunity to make some good plans and goals for myself? Perhaps it might work better!

I haven't come up with a complete list, it is still floating around in my head and slowly formulating into a written version, but here's a few I have started with:
1. Finish up the crafts and projects that I have started and have not finished. (That could take a while!)
2. Spend more time reading in the evenings.
3. Make plans for dinner after breakfast so that I don't end up thinking of it once the kids are home from school and we have no time for making a good dinner!
4. Wash at least one load of laundry each day. (that is not the hard part) Fold and put away all laundry that was laundered that day (that is the goal part).
5. Exercise more.
6. Work on our family history.
7. Go to bed earlier.

We shall see how I do...

2 comments:

Anne said...

I'm seriously laughing right now because your list sounds EXACTLY like mine. No kidding. Is it a mom thing? PLEASE let me know if you have any grand ideas on how to actually accomplish these. I will be waiting patiently!! :)

The Eccles said...

Ditto! I have never thought of it that way, but I do the same thing! I am off to a good start...I am sick, but I decided sick or not I have to keep on going, otherwise it's too easy to get out of the groove! Good luck this year!!!