Friday, January 9, 2009

Getting Back

I am really not sure why it has been so hard to get back into the swing of "regular" life after just 2 weeks off for Christmas. Really. It's not like it was summer vacation and everyone got into crazy, lazy habits or anything. We've just had a hard time getting back into getting up on time, getting going, and even getting to school on time has been a challenge!

I am one of those people that has their clocks set 5 minutes ahead on purpose. There are times when I wonder why I do it when every time I look at the clock, I automatically subtract 5 minutes in my head. Partly I do it out of habit because I have been doing it for so long. The other reason? Because when we are in a hurry to get things going in the morning and kids moving, it helps us move a little quicker. The kids can't do the math quick enough, nor do they probably realize the clocks are ahead!

It shocked me Tuesday morning when the kids ended up being 5 minutes late to school, even though we left at our normal time. It has surprised me all week at how close we are cutting it to get places on time, or how I ended up finding Alexis and David walking home from school and almost to the house when I had fully intended to pick them up on time! Yes, that all shocked me until yesterday when I looked at the clock on my cell phone and it matched the time on the microwave! We had lost power for a bit last weekend, and apparently I didn't reset the clocks properly! How annoying, but once I realized it, it made me feel much better about my tardiness issues this week!

In other news...

Ez has started his new schedule this week. It in no way means that he will be home more. It simply means that we will get to see a bit more of dad. A bit more. But we have really been loving it! Ez was home for dinner AND for helping the kids into bed at night Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week! He will be home a little more on Thursday mornings too.

In fact, my thoughtful husband thought that since Joe is at preschool on Thursday mornings, it would be a fun thing for us to go out to breakfast once all the kids are at school (except for when it's my turn to teach Joe's class or Ez has to go in to work early). We went to Lyon's with Evie this week. It was great to have a little time to just sit and chat. I am really going to love our little "dates".

2 comments:

The Eccles said...

How fun! That sound like something Ty and I would do! Enjoy, while it last.

Laura said...

That date morning sounds great. That is a fun idea. It seems like the holidays are so fast-paced that once they are over, everyone feels like being in slow-mode to recover!