Friday, March 20, 2009

Getting organized

Getting and staying organized is a constant process, especially with little children always around. There are times when I seriously wonder if they unorganize faster than I organize. And lets face it, they pretty much do!

In our last house I was spoiled with more bedrooms than I needed and so I had a space to keep all of my craft and sewing supplies fairly easily. When we moved here to Vacaville, we moved into a home with just enough space for the family, and so I lost that lovely extra space that I was used to! In all truth, I don't miss the extra space too much, we all fit perfectly and I think we all spend a bit more time together because there are less places to hide!

Having less space has meant that we have had to be creative about where and how we store our things. Our garage has become an extension of our home and stores a ton of stuff, including all the shared toys. This actually works pretty well since the weather here is never too hot or too cold. Figuring out how to get and keep the garage organized the way I like it is a very long and constant process, it seems!

I did get one step closer, however, yesterday. My crafting things are kept in a corner of the garage. I had great plans forever ago to get a table out there for my sewing, etc. I got the table, but it typically has been used as a catch all for any and all projects we are working on. It gets pretty scary looking!

Yesterday I cleaned out a bunch of supplies I know I don't need any more, cleaned up the shelves and drawers, and got a bit organized. I even hung 2 shelves by myself to add a bit more useable space! I would have added one or two more, but I ran out of toggle bolts, so I was out of luck. Anyway, I have made progress, which in and of itself is remarkable to me! I can almost see the end in sight...almost.

4 comments:

Laura said...

The craft area looks great! It feels so nice to get SOMETHING organized... I agree -- it's progress! Good job!

The Eccles said...

GOOD JOB, it looks great! I am jealous! I use my dinning room table...so I always have to clean it up and put everything away...I hope to have a craft corner, someday! Now, I expect to see some cute crafts coming out of your workshop! :)

Marla said...

That looks great!

Annie said...

Ooooh! Now that is a beautiful sight!