Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My husband, my hero!

If you know our family at all, you probably know that we do not consider ourselves handy folk. Sure, we can manage the basics, but beyond that there tends to be little hope! That is why this story might impress you!

First of all, I learned a valuable lesson: if you have dishes to do Saturday evening and decide to just rinse them and leave them for the morning, it is probably not the best idea. Alexis and I made cookies Saturday night, which was of course fun and yummy. But once I got everyone to sleep, I was just worn out and ready to not do much, so I decided to leave the dishes in the sink to do the next day.

We were all ready for church on Sunday morning and I knew we would be making more of a dishes mess with dinner, so I thought that I would just really quick take care of what was in the sink. Everything was clean and taken care of and I decided to run the garbage disposal. I hear beautiful mixing of the blades, then chunk, chunk, stop. Funny, I think. I didn't see anything left in the sink. I wonder what is wrong?

I had used my lovely Bosch mixer to make the cookies. It has a handy little piece that the beaters attach onto and then that hooks onto the bowl. Apparently the piece that holds the beaters had slid into the disposal and when I turned it on, it just literally sucked in into the hole and jammed it up against the blades of the disposal! It was jammed--it wouldn't budge. There was no getting it out.

I was sure that we'd have to get a new disposal and a new piece for my mixer, but pricey, I am sure. Anyway, to finish the story....Sunday evening Ez takes a stab at fixing my kitchen disaster. He managed to get the disposal off without ooze going everywhere. He figured out how to remove my mixer piece, and also how to put it all back together! And the best part of it? Neither the disposal or the mixer piece need replacement. Apparently they are both rather tough in and of themselves!

The morals of this story:
1. Don't go to bed with dirty dishes in your sink! (Which I know, just occassionally don't follow)
2. Even the fix-it challenged types can surprise you with what they can do!

0 comments: