Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Few Quarters

I really enjoy reading. I know I don't read as much as I could, but I find it a wonderful gift in life to have a book to read and enjoy! We try to encourage the kids to read and really have that excitement to dive into a good book grow in them. I am not past a bit of extra encouragement to help them along their way either!

Ez and I challenged Alexis and David to each read 2500 pages over the course of the summer, promising a cool reward if they met their goal. This was not problem for Alexis because she enjoys reading. For her reward she wanted to go out for a special lunch with mom, go on a little shopping spree at Justice for Girls (a store she really loves), and then out for ice cream at Fenton's. We had tons of fun! David has to wait a bit for his reward--he gets to go see USC play Stanford in November, but for him it is worth the wait!

Lily just has started to pick up books and read them during this past month or so. She is doing really well and I am impressed with her desire to learn. The cute thing about Lily is that while she will read books appropriate for her level, she also loves to pick up books that the older kids would want to read and tries to read those. While I know that is far too difficult, who am I to discourage such an effort?

Getting back to my point...I was at the library today with Lily, Joe and Evie. We were checking out our books and for some reason I glanced at the section where they sell the older library books. I have never really spent time looking to see what they have, so I never knew what treasures could be discovered there. While we were looking, Lily spotted an American Girl Mystery book and really wanted it. The paperback books are only a quarter! Can you believe that great deal? I handed her a quarter and she got to go put it in the little money drop box, and we kept looking--I had 4 more quarters and was suddenly hoping to spend them. Lily was so excited when she discovered 4 more American Girl Mystery books! The books are in great shape, outside of the obvious library markings on them. Lily was so thrilled about our find and immediately started trying to read them! Who knew 5 quarters could be so valuable?!

I will have to start checking those shelves for good finds more often!

5 comments:

Anne said...

Keri, I miss you! I feel like we have so much in common. I love that your kids are into reading. Most of mine are too. I love that! Sure you don't want to move back to EG sometime?? :)

The Eccles said...

Over the summer we had a goal of reading 1000 minutes! I bought dog tags for the kids that had books on one side, and "summer 2008 read 1000 minutes" on the other side. They just finished, I was thinking about posting. I love that my kids are readers!!!

Becky said...

Wow! How cool! I wonder if our library has a used book shelf like that! Only a quarter? What a deal!

Laura said...

I LOVE those book sells... Just this Summer while I was in Utah, we went to the local library. They had a book sell -- only 10 cents for a paperbook, and 25 cents for a hardback. They had literally ALL of the Berenstein Bears books, which I loved as a kid. They also had a few other good books. I spent $2.20 on probably 17-18 books. I was SO excited for the find! That is so fun!

~Stappsters~ said...

Remember the book club...aaaah, those were the days.