Sunday, September 14, 2008

I love my library!

I really love our library. They of course have lots of fun books for the kids, great CD's and DVD's. They even have these great little back packs for toddlers to check out with 4 board books and a CD, each revolving around a certain theme--Joe especially loves them.

None of these are the real reason I love my library, however. My reason? I love inter library loans. It doesn't matter if it as my library, or one 2 towns over. I love that when I want to check out a book all I have to do is sit down at my computer, log in at the library website, search and request books, music, movies, whatever, and when it comes to the library, the lovely librarians set it on the hold shelf with my name on it, send me an email, and I go and pick it up. I can be in and out of the library for myself in minutes flat. OR, if our books are due and I am never going to make it there that day, I can just hop online and renew them! I know that sounds so lazy, but it is just so convenient and makes my life easier!

It means that when we go to the library I don't have to spend time searching for my things, I can just help the kids. It means that when I am in a hurry to pick up my books, I can send in Alexis or David, they know how to find my books on hold, and they can check them out for me!

NOW, wouldn't it be nice if Target were like this? Think of all the time I would save not wandering around in Target getting distracted. Think of the extra money I'd save not picking up a few extra things we suddenly need once I stumble upon them...

Yeah, I'm all for someone else doing my busy work for me if I can swing it.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I totally miss that library! Thanks for rubbing it in! :)
I really love a good library system, and we have an OK one here. They do the interlibrary loans, but they don't have many copies of books -- ie. I put NEW MOON on hold and I was only #10 on the list -- but then I realized that there are only 3 copies in the whole county library system -- so I ended up buying the book instead. I couldn't wait for 2 months to get it! So, all-in-all, I'm so jealous of you!

Anne said...

I'm right there with you- I've been using the order/hold/renew system on my computer for years. It's the best!!! Esp for us busy moms. The crazy thing is that a lot of people don't even know about it! I can't imagine it any other way!