Friday, February 20, 2009

Taking Some Time

Just before I took the kids to school this morning, our power went out. I immediately had plans to get into the garage and do some cleaning up of the shelves. We keep our games in the garage and they haven't been organized in a while, so that was one of the major projects I set out to do. Joe helped me round up the stray pieces that needed to make it back into games. We taped up corners of boxes that were coming apart. I counted puzzle pieces to make sure they were still worth keeping (no one likes to go through the effort of putting together a puzzle to find one or two pieces missing, right?).

As I was finishing up and getting ready to head back into the house, I remembered that Lily had been playing with the memory game in her room recently and a few pieces had been left out. Joe and I had put them back earlier, but I didn't know for sure if they were all there. I took the game into the house, spread the pieces out on the table, and began matching up the animals.

Joe didn't really understand what I was doing, and that kind of surprised me. Then it hit me that I have never sat and played memory with him. Alexis was given the memory game on her 3rd birthday from a friend and she played with it daily for the longest time. I was feeling terrible that I have never taken the time to teach Joe such a great game. It's not that we don't play games together, in fact he currently loves to play Pictureka and can beat me to finding the pictures more times than I would like to admit. I suppose since we have more games than we did when Alexis and David were little, some of them just get forgotten about.

So, today I decided to slow down and take some time to play some matching with Joe the way I used to with Alexis. Joe had a fun time looking for the animals, especially the snake. Then we built towers and knocked them over. We had great fun together, and I look forward to playing much more with those blocks in the future.


A cool tower


Evie found her own way to make a tower


Joe thought Evie's way looked easier

2 comments:

Annie said...

I remember that matching game. Alexis was way better at it than I was and she was so little then. We love Pictureka too. We mostly play the race game and Clay can beat me every game. Good job Joe!

Jen S said...

Hello again! How fun you blog too! I started doing it so that my sister who lives in Utah could see up to date activities in our life.