Friday, February 20, 2009

What a Deal!

I have always been thankful for a mom who taught me the value of a great sale. Shopping the sales saves so much money, and actually brings an immense amount of satisfaction!

About a month ago, I was at Walmart with Joe and Evie for the normal quick trip, I can't even remember what I was buying. As we were packing up our bag and getting ready to leave, I hear the woman next in line chatting with the cashier about the great deals she is getting on the toys she is buying for her grandkids. She mentioned a great sale on items in the garden center.

Well, you can't hear a sweet, delicious tidbit like that and not go check out exactly what she was considering a good sale! WOW! It wasn't a good sale, it was a tremendous sale! Our Walmart was clearing out a number of toys, probably what they had bought too much of for Christmas. There was a section of toys for $1 and $3. There was a wall of games, all $3 or $5. And then there was one longer wall with toys running $10-$50. I started to look around. I started to fill my cart. It was the most exciting toy shopping I have EVER done! The sad part was that I had 2 kids with me and there was simply no more room in the cart, plus I had to get Evie to a doctor's appointment that I was already running late for due to my need to purchase many cheap toys. Everything rang up to about $80.

I couldn't stop thinking about all the great deals, and after Evie's doctor's appointment, I went back for more. And boy, did we get more! It was great fun to find all sorts of fun things for dirt cheap prices. The best deals were on the games, and we stocked up. The absolute best buy of the day was the Little People Castle, which we had bought for Evie for Christmas for $30. When I saw it for $5, I knew I had to get it. It will make a fantastic birthday gift for my little niece! Upon checking out once more, I spent another $102.

I spent $182 on a ton of toys. I only spent $10 on two separate items, and the rest of the items I got for either $1, $3, or $5 each. Should you find any of these fantastic toys in packages or presents for you, know that we hope they make you as happy as they have made my wallet!

Check out what I got! I did my best to show everything, but there's just no way to do it without slightly more boring photos.
(Sorry for the not so lovely background! The photos were taken on top of the freezer in the garage because I didn't want to haul everything in the house!)









The one thing I was tempted to buy but didn't was the Smart Cycle. It was on sale for $50, and while I knew that was a good deal, I didn't want to splurge that much! A few weeks later, however, I found myself back in Walmart with Joe and Evie. Joe remembered finding all sorts of cool toys in the garden section and asked to go back in a look at the toys. So, we went back to check. There wasn't much left, mostly it was the more expensive items marked down even more. There were 3 Smart Cycles there, and I went to see how much they were asking--$20!!! So, I of course picked it up! I'm not sure if it will be a birthday gift or for Christmas next year, but it will be great fun to have!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Wow! I'm drooling. It's like striking gold isn't it.

The Eccles said...

You are my kind of shopper! I do the same thing...and I love that I always have something on hand for my kids or others b-days. I have so many that I have a "store" in my master closet. I put up sturdy metal shelves and have everything organized on them. I then hung a curtain in front of them so my kids don't see everything.

Laura said...

Wow Keri! That is so amazing. I just LOVE deals too. I wish I could've gone!!! Thanks for sharing, as I got great satisfaction just hearing about it!