Friday, March 13, 2009

Donuts!

Aren't donuts delicious? I remember thinking getting donuts was a huge treat as a kid. I remember loving Munchkins at Dunkin' Donuts; I also remember a little store not too far from our house that sold the yummiest Boston Cream Donuts. Those were my very favorite.

When Ez and I moved to Woodland just after Alexis was born, there was a donut shop we went to a few times that had the best crumb donuts. Then came the introduction of Krispy Kreme, and we found those to be delicious too, but after a bit the idea of them was tastier than they actually were.

The kids have always enjoyed getting a donut now and then, but it has always been the biggest treat for Lily. If Ez or I took her on a date and asked her what she wanted to do, it was always the same answer--get a donut. I love that something so simple can be so important to her.

After moving to Vacaville, we had to find a place to get donuts. There is no Krisy Kreme here, just some mom and pop-type donut shops. The very first one we went to, The Donut Wheel, immediately became our favorite. The guy that runs the shop is really nice. The donuts are really good. I love that if you go there in the morning there is always a group of older guys (and gals sometimes) just hanging out and chatting. The donut shop also happens to be a short walk from where we get the oil changed, so when I've got the kids with me it is the perfect way to wait for the van.

Our very favorite thing about The Donut Wheel is the donut holes. You get a dozen for just $.99, and the guy always throws in a few extras! On Wednesday Joe, Evie and I went to the post office and then walked over to get some donut holes. They were yum and fun and a great little treat!



2 comments:

The Eccles said...

Keri, We are SO alike...it's scary!

~Stappsters~ said...

I love a great donut hole. They are less fattening than the actual donut if you don't eat a dozen.