Thursday, March 12, 2009

Monterey Get Away

Ez travels for work to different parts of the state throughout the year to help teach a class. Typically he just goes by himself, but if the opportunity presents itself, the family will tag along. Last summer Ez had to go to San Diego, so the kids and I went with him, which was great fun.

Last week Ez headed to Monterey, and I went with him--without children!!! Thanks goes out to Grandma Jane for coming and taking care of the kids while we were gone. The trip was short--we left Wednesday at 9 a.m. and got home around noon on Friday, but it was just enough time to refresh.

Ez taught for about 4 hours on Wednesday and 7 hours on Thursday, which left plenty of time for us to enjoy each other's company. We ate a very fantastic dinner at the Chart House, breakfast in Carmel at the Tuck Box, lunch with a coworker...we ate so much food, but it was all delicious! We took a really lovely walk near the beach along 17-mile Drive, and another along the coast in Pacific Grove. It was just a really nice, relaxing time.

We briefly visited the Carmel Mission. We drove around (and fell in love with) Carmel. What a great little town! It reminded me of being a little girl and imagining myself in some of the great stories we would read--Carmel looks like you step right into a story book. Can you believe there are no street numbers on houses or stores? Everything is quaint and charming and full of neat little spots to discover. I loved it. Unfortunately it was rainy while we were there, so I didn't really get to walk around as much as I would have liked, but we'll definitely have to visit again. My Aunt Merrill recommended we eat breakfast at the Tuck Box. The food was so good, but the building was almost better. Honestly, I felt like I was in the White Rabbit's house from Alice in Wonderland. It was so neat.


A cute "story book" home


The Tuck Box

When Ez was teaching, I was left to entertain myself! Now, this is the first time in nearly 11 years that I have had time to myself (outside of after bedtime), without kids, for more than a couple of hours... or maybe even at all! Honestly. I was afraid I wouldn't know what to do with myself--but it turned out to be far easier than I expected. I walked around the mall in Pacific Grove. While walking through Macy's, I let a guy working at one of the make up counters do my make up, which was a first. It actually was rather fun--and he must have been pretty convincing, because I spoiled myself and bought some of the products. I wandered Cannery Row and had a great time finding the perfect little souvenirs for the kids. I drove out to the Point Pinos lighthouse, but got there after it closed, so I just viewed it from the gate. I visited the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary. My very favorite activity, however, was sitting in front of the fireplace in our hotel room and reading. It was so peaceful and quiet, and warm!

Thanks, Ez for the GREAT vacation! Thank you, thank you, Jane, for taking care of our kids!

A few of the fun photos from the trip:


Along 17-Mile Drive


How cool is this?


Point Pinos Lighthouse


At the Monarch Sanctuary


Striking a pose


Us--taken with the timer on a crooked bench!

4 comments:

The Eccles said...

I was going to go with Ty, but then it didn't work out...too many cadets, not enough time(and he got really sick) There's always next time! Looks like a lot of fun!

Kayla said...

Sounds fun!

Annie said...

I love that you haven't forgotten how to be adventurous by yourself. I'm sure glad it was an enjoyable time. Let's go together next fall if we don't go earlier!

Laura said...

Sounds like you had a great time! We haven't been out to Carmel yet, so you've inspired me to convince Gavin to head out there soon! I am sorry, (again!) for not being able to meet up with you -- however, it does sound like you rather enjoyed having some (much needed?) time to yourself!