Friday, March 28, 2008

Unemployed?!

I had to take Alexis to a different dentist the other week for a consult. I got there and filled out the paperwork and passed it back to the receptionist. She filled in a couple of spots for herself and then she asked what my job was. I said I was a stay at home mom, and then she says "Oh, so you are unemployed" as she checks the appropriate box.

Does it ever bother anyone else that because we have the opportunity to stay home and raise our children, we should be labeled unemployed? Granted, I do not earn any cash for the work that I do at home. I am willing to bet that I work just as hard or harder, however!

When asked to describe our responsibilities at work we can include maid, cook, chauffeur, tutor, nurse, story teller, playmate, therapist, referee, the list goes on. Perhaps I should start filling those in!

I know it is silly to let it bother me, but there you have it. I choose to have motherhood be my career and I appreciate when applications or other paperwork are willing to acknowledge this!

I will climb down off my soapbox now...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Amen! I know those same thoughts go through my head

Wilder's said...

I have actually written "My Family" when is asks for my employer and then write my home phone number not only under home number but under work number. No one has ever said anything, and it keeps them from saying unemployed!

~Stappsters~ said...

I beg to differ with reception, you are gainfully employed!! Some things are worth more than money. I once had a woman say, "Oh, you're JUST a stay-at-home mom." Yowzer--give that girl a some medication for foot-in-mouth disease!