Wednesday, June 4, 2008

New uses

Do you ever see people using things in a way you have never considered? Sometimes I think it is rather clever. Other times, it is just odd!

I grew up in Albany, New York. Weather conditions such as rain and snow were part of my life, plain and simple. In the rain we donned jackets with hoods and umbrellas when needed. When it snowed we bundled up in boots and snow pants and warm coats, hats, scarves, mittens, the works! To me, those are the weather appropriate things to do.

I went to college at BYU, which is in Provo, Utah. There again you are faced with the same type of weather elements. I remember the first time I was walking to class in the snow. There were students all over campus dressed for the occasion--but there were also tons of students walking around with umbrellas! Seriously, does snow fall so hard that you have to shield yourself from it with an umbrella? I just always thought it was silly.

On Wednesday we were driving to Sacramento to visit Grandma Jane and saw ladies walking with umbrellas to shade themselves from the breeze and the sun. I guess that one is kind of understandable. But still, aren't umbrellas for the RAIN?

Then today--the kids and I got home from running a few errands and one of our neighbors was outside washing his truck. As I was walking back and forth from the van to the house unloading the trunk, I happened to look over and noticed that our neighbor was in the process of drying off his truck--with a leaf blower! I never would have considered that one either...

1 comments:

Laura said...

Hmmmm.. those are interesting. I've seen people use an umbrella in the sun, but never the leaf blower to dry off the car. Just so you know -- being from Utah, I never have used an umbrella for snow. That IS weird...